The garden office project: A new contender

I’m the kind of person who does three hours of research before buying a mop, so it’s no surprise that I’ve looked at a lot of garden office companies. A lot.

All of this research has clarified a couple of things: I can buy a timber building (with insulation) and put it up myself and spend around four thousand pounds. Or, I can spend between seven and ten thousand pounds and get something that comes with a decent warranty, has a long-life (maintenance-free) exterior, is installed by the professionals and is fully wired and ready to go.

In the second category (let’s be honest, that’s the option I’m going for), I found a new contender. While I still like the outside appearance of the Henley, the inside felt a little bit ‘officey’. Yes, I know; I want an office, but primarily it’s a writing space. In an ideal world, I’d like a slightly more ‘arty’ vibe.

So, I did a bit more research and, courtesy of Nicola Morgan (of Help! I Need A Publisher! fame), I stumbled upon Booth’s Garden Studios. Here’s their pod model:

I like it.

I like the big windows and the fact that I’ll get more space for my cash.

I also like their website which is informative and friendly. (I know I won’t be working in their website so it’s not particularly relevant but credit where it’s due and all that…)

I need to go and have a look at one before I plump, but I’m very excited; a decision is imminent!

7 thoughts on “The garden office project: A new contender

• 15th May 2012 at 8:00 am

I really hope that you are enjoying The Book Thief. I keep on looking out for more of his work but haven’t yet come across any.

I like the new office contender…

xx

• 15th May 2012 at 11:23 am

I certainly am. I’m rationing the last pages because I don’t want it to end… Thanks re. the office. It’s a tricky decision but I’m very excited, too. I know that whichever I go for I’m going to be delighted to have my own little space. xx

• 15th May 2012 at 2:24 pm

Very Nice Timber building…I hope it provides the real comfort and style when you work at home.

• 23rd May 2012 at 4:39 pm

Wow, that looks really interesting. Not too bad price, made all the more interesting by the suggestion in the FAQ that you can claim the tax back as a business. Great HQ for Hugawookie!

• 24th May 2012 at 11:25 am

Thanks, Alistair. I’ve had a few folk recommend the company and I’ve been very impressed with my dealings with them so far.

• 27th May 2012 at 8:06 pm

Not Matthew – but Fay here. I will post you up a few magazine pages of different outdoor office/ garden building options that I found. They may not be of use for an actual model but it could provide you with a few more websites to look at.

xx